Our Man Tracking Level I Class is a hands-on basic introduction to visual tracking. Students learn basic tracking skills to help follow and find someone or something. Learning to track will provide you with a crucial survival skill that will save your life or someone else’s. Tracking will help you develop better attention to detail and become more situation aware.
Whether a volunteer member of Search and Rescue or an outdoor enthusiast, this class is fun for all who enjoy the outdoors. This class needs no prior training or experience. This class is for the novice or experienced person.
The primary instructor for this class is John Hurth. John is a retired US Army Special Forces Soldier. He is also the author of the bestselling book “Combat Tracking Guide”.
Class Curriculum covers
- Tracking Terminology
- Basic Visual Tracking Techniques
- Human Gait and Track Interpretation
- Visual and Non-Visual Tracking Indicators
- Factors that Affect Sign
- Principles of Tracking
- Track Pursuit Drill
- Lost Track Drills
Recommended Packing List
(This is a Basic List. You will be in a field environment for the entire course.)
- Durable outdoor clothing
- Broken in and serviceable footwear
- Lensatic Compass (mandatory)
- Pocket knife
- Flashlight with colored lenses
- Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)
- Assault Pack or Backpack with a 3-liter Hydration System
- Eye Protection
- Pencil and Pen
- Seasonally appropriate hat, underwear, and outerwear
- Good quality insect repellent with Deet (spring, summer, and fall)
- Folding Chair (optional)
- Seasonally appropriate equipment to remain overnight in field conditions.
- Enough Food and Water for the Entire Time in the Field.
This is a basic tracking class. For Tactical Tracking see our 3-Day and 5-Day Tactical Tracking Courses.
All our tracking classes and courses are taught completely outdoors. Instructors do not lecture or use power point presentations to conduct their classes. Students are immersed in the tracking environment from beginning to end. With that said, all who attend must be in good physical condition and be capable of walking 1-2 miles daily over rugged terrain.
There are only 10 slots are available, so sign up now to guarantee a position.
If you are interested in hosting a class, please use the Contact Form to contact us.
If you are interested in attending a class, please Click Here to see all of our scheduled classes.