“Terrain is neutral, if understood properly, the terrain will provide opportunity so you may exploit it to your advantage.”
– John Hurth, President of TYR Group
TYR Group’s Land Navigation training provides hands-on experience and confidence to properly read a map and navigate over land using limited tools.
TYR Group’s Land Navigation Level I Course is a 2-day hands-on course that provides students who attend with the capability, experience and confidence to properly read a map and navigate over land using nothing more than a map, protractor, and compass. Today, GPS is a great technological tool but what if that technology fails? Furthermore, without a GPS do you know how to make your way? This course provides the essentials to read a map, analyze terrain, and decide on a route using control measures to travel over land while exploiting the terrain to your advantage. Instructors teach and mentor students in a progressive manner that challenges and builds confidence and self-reliance.
- Map Reading and interpreting the Marginal information on a map
- Properly interpreting Topographic Symbols
- Understanding Common Colors used on a map
- Interpreting Contour intervals
- Use of a protractor to determine grid coordinates and plot a location
- Converting Azimuths
- Determining distance
- Navigational Equipment and Methods
- Parts of a compass.
- Shooting an azimuth.
- Determining a back azimuth.
- Establishing a pace count.
- Interpretation of Terrain features
- Dead Reckoning
- Terrain association
- Route Planning for short or long-range orienteering
Recommended Packing List
(This is a Basic List. You will be in a field environment for the entire course.)
- Durable outdoor clothing
- Broken in and serviceable footwear
- Lensatic Compass (mandatory)
- Pocket knife
- Flashlight with colored lenses
- Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)
- Assault Pack or Backpack with a 3-liter Hydration System
- Eye Protection
- Poncho / Rain Gear
- Pencil and Pen
- Seasonally appropriate hat, underwear, and outerwear
- Good quality insect repellent with Deet (spring, summer, and fall)
- Folding Chair (optional)
- Seasonally appropriate equipment to remain overnight in field conditions.
- Enough Food and Water for the Entire Time in the Field.
***** Due to Department of State ITAR regulations, all Tactical Training is only available to US Citizens and Residents. *****
If you are interested in hosting a class, please use the Contact Form to contact us.
If you are interested in attending a class, please Click Here to see all of our scheduled classes.